26 March 2016

spring frosting color inspiration

 photo 6f8adbef-800f-4a8b-b14d-e3958c3e316d_zpsemix81hf.jpg

I pinned this picture over 6 years ago.  The palette is my soul in colors!  Spring is is a big opportunity to use as much color as your heart desires, but when I don't have a plan it usually all goes to hell in a poorly color-coordinated hand basket.  I'm going to share how I made these colors.

 photo 5a9a3f09-1af3-4e26-8764-c3524cac97d0_zpsjnja664n.jpg

For continuity purposes, I used Wilton food coloring.  A lot of companies name their colors similarly, but pay attention to the shade!  Now a lot of this is trial and error, but I have tried to give you proportions to help you achieve these shades.  Add color very slowly!  Once you add, it is very difficult to lighten!

Light blue: one half drop of sky blue using a toothpick
Bright yellow: golden yellow with a tiny touch of brown using a toothpick
Kelly green: a few drops of leaf green to make it very potent
Grey: a small toothpick tip of black (not too much!)
Warm off white: just the tiniest toothpick tip of brown
Turquoise: 3 parts sky blue to 1 part yellow
Navy blue: A lot (9-10 drops) of royal blue  to 1 drop violet
Orange red: 3 parts red to 1 part orange

 photo 9b11d9f2-b48d-442b-9d8c-738d609e3f57_zpslpmn8hyu.jpg

A veritable rainbow of frosting colors is at your fingertips, friends.  I'll be back with more color posts!  Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment