20 October 2013

classic powdered doughnuts

 photo 70147746-c012-4691-b34b-539ac8e7fc4f_zps8e747ed0.jpg

My donut pan and I have been through a lot of ups and downs.  I bought it absolutely exploding with ideas and hope of what could be.  Pretty soon I was putting batter in that had no business there and eventually, I became exasperated with the baked donuts concept.

But here's what I've learned: not just anything can be baked in the shape of a donut, you have grease the crap out of the pan, and before you even think about frosting or coating it, let those bitches cool.

Sorry I dropped the B-bomb.  I just needed to emphasize.

 photo d2731f44-3bc4-4410-9709-4b8637942a43_zps3aba8c0e.jpg photo 26177884-8e04-4a66-8834-9d911190950d_zps6182f4d7.jpg

INGREDIENTS
2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
6 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled for a couple minutes
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp corn starch

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 and spray a doughnut pan very well with baking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and butter until mixture is slightly frothy. Stir the egg and milk mixture into dry ingredients until ingredients are just combined.

You can do this a couple different ways.  If you've got a piping bag available, spoon the batter into it and squeeze it into the donut wells.  If you're lazy like me, spoon batter into doughnut pan, filling each doughnut almost to the top and smooth it over with the back of the spoon.

Bake for 7-9 minutes until doughnut springs back when it's touched. After 5 minutes, remove the donuts from the pan and let them cool completely on a wire rack.  Then toss the donuts in powdered sugar/corn starch mixture until coated completely.  Eat them immediately - that's an order.

 photo b8215bb0-96bc-483e-9add-d10cc6d08b31_zps68e73984.jpg photo 786357ac-84a0-426a-b40b-15f0bf113f22_zps73038d0c.jpg

So look, I know that sometimes you make donuts that look weird coming out of a donut pan.  But I promise, if you follow this recipe, you'll get snazzy looking donuts.  Money back guarantee.

Go eat donuts.

6 comments:

  1. these look delicious. i've never made donuts but you've convinced me (especially when I imagine the powder covered fingertips and lips after eating these). anne taylor told me about your blog, so i've been quietly reading for a bit now, and I am seriously swooning over all of your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Thanks for reading - Anne is a favorite of mine. What a lady, am I right?! If you have any requests feel free to shoot me an email or Tweet. Otherwise are you joining our bloggy happy hour?

      Delete
    2. Anne had mentioned you ladies do meet ups. How fun! I'm totally up for happy hour--are you in Denver or Boulder?

      Delete
    3. you coming tonight? biergarten at 6!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. if you make any thing amazing, do share!

      Delete