09 September 2013

condensed milk cake

 photo ef781489-75fe-4985-bb52-97969d7c3a3f_zpsbe9a390f.jpg
As the years go by, I become more and more grateful for simplicity.  Seriously, there is nothing better than a day of uncomplicated fun with people you enjoy.  The same goes for cake (stay with me).

You can make this cake in 45 minutes, and 40 minutes of that is cooking time.  This is a fantastic breakfast cake for Sundays, or paired with preserves for a low key dessert.  I made this cake twice this weekend - once with lemon drizzle and once with just powdered sugar - both were delicious. (Although, gun to my head, I preferred the powdered sugar version.)

 photo ac1d951e-7bcf-4bbb-a1e9-7e1573222ec4_zps9eda486c.jpg
Four ingredients.  This cake rises beautifully (seriously, take a peek when it's baking), is soft and dense, and only slightly sweet so you can add whatever topping you want.

INGREDIENTS
1 397g can of condensed milk (smaller)
1 cup of flour
4 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350.

Mix all of your ingredients together until smooth.  Pour the batter into your greased 9" cake pan (I used baking spray).

Bake for at least 30 minutes, up to 40 minutes.  Altitude plays a big role in this so just keep an eye on it after 30 minutes.

 photo 0c171aaa-fbcc-4b42-8aa4-1980faeae0f2_zps492b7cf7.jpg photo 997f2a11-b1a0-4a86-afef-b9e65c84dc0f_zps082a1c53.jpg photo ac1d951e-7bcf-4bbb-a1e9-7e1573222ec4_zps9eda486c.jpg
Condensed milk cake will be a big hit, I promise.  Make it for the kiddos this weekend, or for an office mate's birthday.  As always, I also suggest making it just for yourself.

8 comments:

  1. Yummy! And oh so easy. I absolutely LOVE that it is super easy. Gonna try this. My hubby's b-day is coming up so I may just have to plan it for that! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes easy is so wonderful sometimes. let me know how it goes!

      L

      Delete
  2. Love it!! it looks so delicious, so gonna gv this a try :)


    http://expressionofemotions.blogspot.in/2013/09/rosabelle-treasures-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ! It's in the oven. I tried it plain for the first time to taste it, but next i will add cinnamon or coconut yumm
    I have to say that mine is almost baked after 15 min ! I put tin foil on it, maybe the cake is too close of the top...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Setjay, I'm going to add that the oven rack should be right in the middle!

      Delete
  4. This looks such a nice cake and great texture. I've never seen a recipe like this before, going to give it a go tonight. Any other flavour combinations would you suggest? Or do you get a condensed milk flavour come through the cooked cake?

    FoodNerd x

    www.foodnerd4life.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had another reader try adding lemon extract - that may be really delish. If you're going to do that, I would include some lemon zest of about half a lemon, too. Let me know how it turns out!!

      Lizzy

      Delete