18 June 2012

rose cake


The other day, I decided I was going to make cake.  I was going to make a cake with frosting that would change your life.  That naturally led me to Rebecca's Apothecary in Boulder to peruse my frosting ingredient options.  I went with roses.

I wish I could host a Jane Austen party because there is no better cake for the occasion than this one.  I'm serious, this cake comes with a parasol.

for the cake
INGREDIENTS
1 cup white sugar
½ cup butter
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk

for the frosting
INGREDIENTS
¼ ounce dried roses, ground very fine
⅓ cup butter
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (3 ½ cups) confectioners sugar, sifted if it's organic or has visible lumps
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or light cream


So, find a floral print, knee-length dress, some white gloves and eat this while discussing the complexities of Earl Grey tea.  Or, you know, just eat it in your PJ's.  I don't care as long as you eat this cake.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so amazing. It's the perfect cake to go with a good cup of English tea!

    ReplyDelete