02 June 2012

Avocados three...I mean, two ways.


I discovered a few things yesterday.  First, I like to call avocados "avos."  

Second, just because you love avocados, doesn't mean avocado ice cream will be good.  I had such high hopes, I swore up and down that it would be epic.  Well, it wasn't.  Can't win 'em all.


I made fried avocado slices and my life-changing guacamole. I want share these magical recipes with you.  Because I love you.


the guacamole
INGREDIENTS
3 avos
1 small onion
1 jalapeno
1 roma tomato
juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Choose ripe avos.  Place them into a bowl and mash them to your desired consistency.  I like mine smooth.  If the avocados are appropriately ripe, this should be easily done with a fork.

Cut up all your other ingredients and mix them gently into the mashed avos.  Squeeze juice from one lime into the mixture, add salt and pepper to taste.  


the fried avocado
INGREDIENTS
3 sliced avos
panko bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup flour
oil for frying
DIRECTIONS
Cut your avocado into slices (or large chunks if you prefer).  Prepare shallow 3 bowls, one with two beaten eggs, anther with flour and the last with panko bread crumbs mixed with salt.

Heat your oil in a frying pan.  I didn't use a thermometer, but when you drop the avocados in, it should sizzle.  Dip each slice or chunk into the flour, shake off the excess.  Then coat in egg and then panko bread crumbs.

Put into pan and let brown, approximately 20-30 seconds on each side.  Put onto a paper towel to let the excess oil drip off.

For the sauce, I mixed taco seasoning with mayo.  Yup, its awesome on anything mexican-ish.


Happy Saturday, pretties.  Ole!

xoxo
Lizzy

1 comment:

  1. I made avo ice cream once. It was ok, but not great. Then I mixed some cocoa in and it was really good. I haven't made it again, but if I do, I'll make it chocolate flavour from the start.

    ReplyDelete