04 October 2011

rosemary+pear pie

I'm a little bit lazy. Sure, when I put my mind to it I can accomplish a lot, but most of the time, I'm content sitting on my couch watching entire TV series' all at once.

I know you're like me. You're thinking, "Amen. Preach it, sister."

When I'm feeling guilty about getting nothing accomplished I bake a pie. Yup, you heard me. Pie.

Apple pie, blueberry pie, raspberry rhubarb pie, chocolate cream pie. You get the point.

So as I was feeling extra lazy the other day, I decided to make a pie I'd never made before. Rosemary pear pie! Weird, right? No, delicious. I got the recipe from one of my favorite bloggers over a Food Coma Blog. Emma is a sweet lady, I met her about a month ago when I visited Red Velvet. (Yes, I'm bragging.)


Sometimes, I eat a lot of the filling before it even gets into the pie. I love how the sugar pulls out the juices in the fruit, especially with raspberries and pear. YUM.

Anyway, back to the task at hand. Making this lovely pie.



(I used some of the dough to make pie pockets, hence having only 10 mini pies here.)

Now, this post is going to be a confusing one, because I'm giving you two different pie crust recipes. The reason for this is that some people have a strong opinion about their crusts. Me, I'll eat any crust that's flaky.

I'm going to give you a crust recipe with only butter, and another with shortening. I like both of them, so I'll say this: if you're a beginner, but don't want to buy a roll out crust from the supermarket, I would make the shortening recipe. If you want more of a challenge, then try the second (it is by Martha Stewart, she's pretty much a professional pie maker).

Pie Crust #1

INGREDIENTS

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary


DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and rosemary. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. (add water slowly because you may have to cut back on the amount) Roll into a ball and wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or place in freezer for 35 minutes.
Roll out dough on a floured counter. Don't over work it, it will warm quickly and become difficult to work with.

Pie Crust #2

INGREDIENTS

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks), plus 2 tablespoons, cold butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ice water, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary

DIRECTIONS

Sift flour and salt onto work surface. Using your fingertips, mix butter very quickly into flour mixture until crumbly. Form a well in the center and add water. Using a bench scraper, quickly incorporate water into dough, taking care not to overwork the dough. Add more water if dough seems too dry. (Add water very slowly, or htis could get messy)
Break dough into walnut-sized pieces and, one at a time, flatten each piece against your work surface with the heel of your hand (this creates flaky layers of butter inside the crust). Reincorporate dough into two equal size balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour or put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before rolling it out.


The Filling

INGREDIENTS

2-3 pears
brown sugar
white sugar
cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

Chop up 3 small, or two large pears into cubes. Add brown sugar and a little bit of white sugar and cinnamon. It's really up to you, the only stipulation is to put at least twice as much brown sugar as white. The brown sugar tastes really good with the rosemary.

Just fill your mini pies (for this I used a cupcake pan and cut out the circle shapes with a cup) fill it with the pear filling and place another circle on top. Only after you've decorated it or cut out fun shapes, though. This would also be a great opportunity to try a lattice design. It is nice and small so there's no unwieldy strips of pie crust to deal with. Bake them at 375˚ for about 15-20 minutes, until lightly brown on top.


Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment